Shop Volunteer - North Berwick
Shop Volunteer - North Berwick
The RNLI shops started life as simple cake stalls, run by volunteers and their supporters to raise money for the local Lifeboats and stations. These stalls started selling commemorative RNLI products in around 1920 and quickly moved on to selling souvenirs and Christmas cards. The first shop to be run as part of an actual station opened in 1990.
Today we operate 160 RNLI shops and this number is growing, based inland and on the coast across the UK and Ireland, attracting almost 1 million visitors every year selling an excellent range of unique and competitively priced products ranging from jam to clothing, and key rings to model boats, all to raise vital funds for our volunteer crew members and lifeguards.
For many people, buying something from an RNLI shop will be the first time that they come into contact with our Charity, and as a shop volunteer you could be the person that engages them to support us now, and in the future.
The impact you will make
You will help save lives at sea by generating vital funds as well as promoting the work of the RNLI to customers and raising awareness of key safety messages.
What you will be doing
- Delivering the smooth day-to-day running of the shop, maintaining a safe environment and alerting line management to any issues.
- Offering a great shopping experience, creating a friendly and welcoming environment.
- Operating the till (including end of day cashing up) and card machine.
- Championing the RNLI, it’s key messages, One Crew ethos and building its reputation in the local area.
Find out more about becoming a shop volunteer
What you need for this role
- Good communication skills and personable manner.
- Ability to contribute as part of a team.
- Confident handling money.
- Comfortable volunteering in a customer service environment.
What’s in it for you
- Join an inclusive and diverse organisation
- Have fun, meet new people and join a motivated and enthusiastic team who are making a difference
- Learn skills and gain experience to enhance your CV
- Gain the satisfaction of giving back
- Training to fulfil your volunteer role will be provided and reasonable out of pocket expenses reimbursed
Please apply online or if you have a question please contact the RNLI’s Volunteering Team on 01202 663346 or by email on [email protected]
The RNLI is committed to safeguarding; ensuring the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk. We expect all employees and volunteers to share this commitment and have a zero tolerance approach to proven incidents of bullying, abuse, harassment or exploitation. The suitability of all prospective employees and volunteers will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment. This will include relevant criminal record checks being carried out dependent on the eligibility of the role. (England & Wales; DBS check, Scotland; Disclosure Scotland PVG, Northern Ireland; Access NI, Republic of Ireland; Garda Vetting; International, International Child Protection Certificate process).
Diversity at the RNLI
Our staff and volunteers have been saving lives at sea without prejudice for nearly 200 years. We respect and value diversity of background, skills and perspectives within our teams, and consider it essential to help us deliver a world-class lifesaving service. We are an inclusive organisation and welcome applications from everyone. In addition to having the skills needed for the role, we also look for applicants who share our commitment to living our RNLI values (trustworthy, courageous, selfless, and dependable), and helping us work towards Our Vision: To save every one.